Wednesday, April 13, 2005


Round barn on St.Rd. 32 just east of IL line and west of Flat Iron Road.
There were a few round barns in the area were I grew up. I was always fascinated by these barns as were many people. You always heard stories about the barns such as "a man ran himself to death trying to find a corner to pee in" and other such tales. I never did know why there were round barns. Some said it was for efficiency. Livestock could be handled from a central location. Some said because there were no corners it would keep evil spirits away because they had no place to hide. I never was in a round barn and I would find it interesting to go inside. I don't know if there is a hay mow like conventional barns or if the center is a large open area. I would assume that the dome is a self supporting structure as are other domes. I always have to stop and look when I pass a round barn. Just to wonder why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home